Despite the undeniable importance of the Internet, direct mail continues to be an excellent way to engage and entice potential customers. As we navigate through these unusual times with the Covid-19 crisis, businesses are looking for ways to forge ahead – while remaining sensitive to the collective challenges we face. A well-planned, direct mail marketing campaign can make a strong impact and get your brand top of mind. The reality is that people are home now more than ever, which means they might be a little more eager to check (and open) their mail or browse through flyers. Let’s take a fresh look at direct mail as an effective opportunity to reach your audience.
Why does direct mail work?
With a real piece of mail, we can touch it and look at it, turn it over and read it. It markets to a captive audience. Maybe it is put on the fridge or moved around in a basket or on a table. It typically sticks around a home or place of work for about two weeks. That’s a lot of time to let your brand sink in!
The personal and visual components of a brochure, letter, coupon or postcard have a stronger impact on people than a digital ad. It’s tangible. It’s nostalgic. It’s not on a screen. Digital marketing is everywhere, but with direct mail marketing, diversification is the secret weapon; it is a worthwhile, alternative way to get your business seen.
Top tips for maximizing results
Some businesses get better results from mail campaigns than others and response rates can vary widely. There are several factors at play that influence the success of a direct mail marketing campaign. We’ve outlined 10 key considerations to improve results and maximize your ROI:
- Have a solid database of existing clients
- If you don’t have a database, use data to understand and learn about your (potential) customers
- Speak to a specific or target audience – don’t make a shot in the dark
- Focus on your local audience – people are more loyal to local
- Make your mail campaign authentic and personalized; it increases your sense of community
- Let your audience know if you are a new business – or new to a community
- People who bother to open and read your mail want value…so reward them with a promotion or deal
- Get your campaign in motion quickly – if you have to run it by 7 levels of red tape you will miss out
- Focus on home mail delivery (instead of B2B) until more business lockdowns are lifted. Many shuttered companies aren’t checking their mail regularly, and if they are, it may not be going to the right people
- Ensure it is professionally designed, visually appealing, and error and typo-free
Finally, the key to a successful campaign is that you speak to your audience’s pain points. What are their worries or problems they need solving that you have the answer to? Once you understand that, you’re on the right track to success.
Signed, sealed & delivered
For many types of businesses, direct mail continues to be a proven, effective marketing opportunity. In this new reality of living through a pandemic, people are looking for reassurance, convenience and comfort more than ever. If your company provides that, then you need to get the word out and build those connections. The brands that maximize their assets and ingenuity will come out stronger. If you’re not sure where to begin, you don’t have to go it alone. Connect with the team at Element 6; we will guide you through the ins and outs of direct mail campaigning and help you get ahead.